How I made Upwork Work for me

If you want to catch up on my very new freelance writing journey - this post and this post will do that for you.

In my last post I said I would share what has worked for me so far.

First - this was something new to me honestly - I spent a good amount of time researching, reading and figuring out this entire process. I mean I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how it would work, what would and would not work and more.

I came across this post and I have to say it was one of the best reads to help me gain an understanding of what I was getting myself in to. I also read more here to figure out how to make this work.

Second - when I first started writing for money, I treated it like another job. This was very ignorant of me because instead of finding things I enjoyed and was good at writing, I tried to find what would make me the most money.

It took me until very recently to recognize that it isn't about money, it is about creating a portfolio of who I am and who I want to be as a writer.

Once again I don't know if I have the right to say I am a "writer" or if I am just a wannabe freelancer like a million other people. But... I enjoy it so I will continue it.

Third - Time, this is going to take time. I will not be writing for big magazines or Buzzfeed right away. Because I am not dedicating every single moment to my writing right now, it is going to be a marathon not a sprint.

This may sound bad, like I don't want it enough or that I am not making it a priority like I should. But right now it is a side gig and I want to keep it that way so that I can enjoy it while also making some money.

So Upwork has worked for me by researching, recognizing it is not my job right now and being patient because it is not going to happen over night.

For me it is about the journey and not necessarily the destination. I have learned so much already in my short time starting this and am still finding joy in doing it!

If you want to jump in and try your hand at freelance writing, some of the articles I linked earlier are great places to start and feel free to shoot me a question if you have any!

-Meesh

Comments

Popular Posts