Patience

Today I want to talk about patience.

I don't know about any of you but I seriously lack patience.

This is often times comical to me as I spend a large deal of time at my job preaching patience and I have none myself.

I have admitted before that I lack patience and I don't try to hide it.

It is something I will work on, for probably the remainder of my life.

One of the hardest aspects of patience in my opinion is that we are a society used to instant gratification.

For many of us, through no fault of our own, have not had to wait for things we wanted.

We are used to having results right now which is why I feel we look for the "easy" way out in regards to things like weight loss.

In other words we want, what we want, when we want it and we wanted it yesterday.

Learning how to change this once we enter real world is a challenge.

We have spent the first 20+ years of our lives probably having parents, teachers, family, etc. giving us what we ask for and now we are launched in to the real world and expected to adapt.

One of the best things I have learned is: you are not alone in your frustrations with how long we have to wait for things and how hard it can be to work for something and see tiny results.

Secondly it is going to be a marathon not a sprint - we probably won't be able to change a lifetime of habits overnight or even in a few weeks or months.

Give yourself time to adjust and adapt to learning how to hurry up and wait.

It will come with time.

Start out learning how to be patient with small things - during meetings, at red lights, in lines.

Gradually build up to learn how to be patient with: others who can't or won't hear you, with people who want to fight you, with the slow pace of change and progress you experience, etc.

Learn to not take things on a personal level - THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU and chances are people are not trying to cause you frustration, in fact you are not as important as you think you are to them.

Because the world doesn't revolve around you it is important to learn that your priorities won't be the same as someone else. They have their own priorities and you will need to learn to adapt to not being #1 in everyone's eyes.

There is a fine line between learning how to work through your frustration with the slowness of life and it is another thing to become someone's doormat. No need to flip out every time you are mad but it is also okay to speak your mind when you are frustrated.

Breathe, close your eyes, unclench your fists. It will get better I promise. Dance it out, sing it out, yell it out. Release that shit in a healthy way but don't continue flipping out when things aren't on your terms and in your time frame. It is possible to adapt to the world.

We live in a fast paced world but it does not mean everything has to be fast paced as well. Sometimes it is important to slow down and live life on life's terms.

What are your thoughts on patience?

-Meesh



Comments

Popular Posts