Journey to Healthy Part 2

Read Part 1 here to catch up 

My plan started with realizing I didn't want to be 50 years old questioning "how the hell did I get here" and trying to figure out how to eat healthy. I didn't want to be the parent of a child one day who could not teach their child healthy eating habits, or was too heavy and out of shape to chase them down and play with them. I didn't want to worry about gaining 50 pounds if I did end up pregnant with no idea how to get it back off and having no plan or idea of what I would need to do. I didn't want to continue being uncomfortable in my own body. This all freaked me out so I decided it was time.

I started looking at what I ate - which was and remains the hardest part of this journey for me. I have had to learn how to cut down on my mindless eating. I work a desk job and have my own office so I spend 75-90% of my time alone in there. This leads to eating my daily calorie intake before lunch if I am not careful. I am not proud of this, it is just a fact. I have overcome this to a certain extent by having only healthy foods on hand at all time - bars, fruit, veggies, homemade popcorn & seeds are all my typical go to's. I have some trouble in this area only due to my allergies but I am figuring it out.

I also had to cut out drinking my calories - frappuccinos, sodas and juices. This proved to be pretty easy and now I am down to only drinking calories in the form of creamer in my coffee in the morning. I try to always have a bottle of water with me I can refill through the day as needed to keep me from feeling thirsty or tempting myself with sugary drinks. 

Then I had to figure out how to work out. Thank God for my husband who started on a healthy lifestyle a few years ago and had a plan in place already for working out. It is this plan and yes it is called buff DUDES but it has worked for me so far. I recently completed week 9 of the 12 and once I complete it I think I will repeat it again. 

The last piece of the puzzle for me has been learning to be patient - I have talked about this in several places on this blog and it is something I will always work on. It is another lesson I get reminded of all the time at work - nothing happens overnight and results won't be instant. I think this is a hard part for a lot of people who start out on a healthy journey - you see so many ads, celebrity endorsements, before and afters etc of people who lose significant amounts of weight seemingly overnight and we all want that. However reality is - it ain't gonna happen. 

I lost 20 pounds for our wedding back in 2011 and kept it off until literally about 2 weeks after coming home. I then proceeded to gain back about 25 instead. This was due to the fact that I restricted my diet significantly, exercised sporadically and didn't maintain any of this once my "goal" had come and gone. This did me no favors but led to bouts of yo-yo dieting and doing better for a week or two at a time until I gave up.

I feel like at this point I am learning a healthy balance of eating good most of the time, eating what I want sporadically, working out 4-6 days a week, drinking lots and lots of water regularly and appreciating the small changes. 

I will hash out the actual changes in another post because this has gone on long enough already. I split it up in to 2 parts so that nobody gets too bored reading it. Thank you for sticking it out and I would love to hear about your own experience with a healthy lifestyle or any thoughts on mine. 

-Meesh 

Comments

Popular Posts