DIY and Chalk Paint Thoughts


So last summer when I first moved in to my house I told my mother I wanted a tray to put on the dining room table.

However because I am so picky I wanted a very specific style and color.

My mother found an adorable one for me to refinish at a thrift store and I set to work!

I had heard about chalk paint for the longest time and the brand I really wanted to use is only sold online and I am probably the only person the world who hates to be things online and therefore I refuse to buy things online. So I went on the hunt for any chalk paint and came across FolkArt Chalk Paint

The instructions were simple - clean the item, dry it, go against the grain on coat 1, with the grain on coat 2, wax/seal.

I used wax on the tray and was not a big fan personally. The wax left a lot to the imagination for me.

It could have been me because I refused to buy the $20 brush recommended.

I also didn't use the correct type of cloth to apply it and smooth it out.

So what I was left with was an item that was waxed but had pieces of lint mixed in.

Unfortunately it was only after I had painted and waxed that I read you can't just poly over the wax. I would have to sand and redo the piece again with chalk paint and then use poly instead of wax. So because it is a decoration piece only without regular use I am not too worried about it. 

So on to the project itself. Here is what it looked like when I started painting the tray.

It was a red finish and I was not a fan - I wanted a black finish. 

It was not too beat up which was nice so I didn't have to worry too much about any dings or dents or "fixing" anything on it. 

Like I said earlier I opted dot use folk art and I liked the paint a lot.

It went on pretty smoothly, but it did take me a few minutes to get used to the way it went on once I started painting.

It looks very streaky on the first coat and doesn't cover 100% which explains needing at least 2-3 coats.

This was the first coat of paint.

I opted to not really sand between paint layers because it didn't feel necessary to make this a perfect project as I am using it for decor only. 

This was after I had painted the entire thing going against the grain first and then with the grain next.  

The finished project. 

I used it first for my fall themed tables cape (ignore the wrinkled tablecloth - I literally just took the pic to show off on IG hahah)

A good before and after shot of the tray

And even though you can not see the tray itself it was used for my Christmas tables cape as well. 

I am happy with the overall project but I definitely did things differently on my next chalk paint project.  Which is a desk for my craft room and I will be sharing that soon as well. 

What do you guys think?

As always I love a good comment on any project so feel free.

Happy Monday, may it be a good week my friends. 

-Meesh 

Comments

nik ann said…
You're so creative and crafty!!!!! I love this. ❤️๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘๐ŸผNice job!!

Popular Posts