Changes...

So if you read my 2nd 2016 post I changed jobs.

This turned out to be much more difficult than I anticipated.

When I started my job as a drug and alcohol counselor I never anticipated falling love with it and learning so much about who I am as a person.

When I started in the field I like probably many new counselors assumed I knew way more than I actually did.  Little did I really know I would have a lot to learn in the next 5 years.

I was a "green" counselor in every sense of the word and people took a chance on me.

This does not always happen as so many agencies want people with experience and unfortunately the only way to get experience is a job or unpaid internships usually.

I was blessed with this opportunity and am forever grateful.

I learned that I don't know everything, shit I barely know anything compared to my co-workers who have been in the field for anywhere from 10-15+ years!

However I learned so much from those same co-workers!

I learned how to be a better counselor, how to recognize where my strengths are and my weaknesses.

I learned (still learning) how to take constructive criticism and how to become a better counselor.

I made friendships that I hope last a lifetime.

When I left on Friday January 29th I cried and I am not ashamed to admit that.

I am sad to leave behind a 5 year era of my life and move forward with this new journey.

As for my new job here is what I can after my first week here is what I can say...

Day 1 of new job - the reason you don't get a new job
Day 2 of new job - Ok I can do this and got a bit of a feel for what I am about to begin
Day 3 of new job - Shadowing co workers and getting an idea of what this is all about
Day 4 of new job - all day training which they paid me for and I didn't have to travel in my own car to... I can do this
Day 5 of new job -  And today concludes the first of the worst weeks of a new job - but I am going back on Monday!

The first 2 weeks to a month of a new job makes you realize why you hate changing jobs!  I wish I could skip forward about a month and just be doing my job.  It is going to be a total change up from my old job which is good.  It never hurts to switch things around and do something different.  I can definitely do the job and am not running away from it.  Had this been a 6-8 years ago I might have been like OMGosh I can't do this but thankfully with the experience I have gotten, I think I am ready for this!

I am not someone who is defined by their job or career but it is obviously a large part of my life and I don't want to forget about this transitional period in my life.  I hope maybe people will read this and realize it is okay to move forward and go outside your comfort zone.  Life is not a straight line and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow and make the best of unexpected changes.

Happy Saturday and good luck!

-Meesh


Comments

Popular Posts