Favorite Books Eva

So as I was driving home today I realized I have never shared my favorite books with y'all!!

Now I know your lives were totally not complete without this post haha

So random fact about me - I love to read!!

I mean seriously I am a total book worm, my family and friends know once I start a book you will be hard pressed to get me away from said book until finished.

I started reading at a young age and never stopped!!

Now I have one problem when it comes to reading - I tend to read quickly and skip over details.

I get the majority of the book haha but I always end of finding new things out if I re-read a book.

So here are some of my favorite books ever!!

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
 photo LittleWomen20_zps5b811c56.jpg
Oh what can I say about this book?
I read it for the first time in 8th grade I believe it was.
I fell in love with this book!
There has always been something special about these four sisters.
The love they have for one another and their parents.
The faith that they never give up!
The simplicity of this book!!

I cried with everyone else when Beth passes away.
I was just as excited when Jo found love.
I was heart broken for Laurie when Jo denies him.
Just so many feelings and emotions in one book. 

I will never forget reading the part where Mrs. March tells Joe that she has always fought her own demons and it has taken her years to overcome and become a better person.

This particular part resonated with me so much because it reminds me of my own faith!
I have never not believed and as time has gone on I have realized that I am a constant work in progress.  I may will never be perfect but that does not mean the Good Lord does not want me to try!
It will probably be a life long journey for me to become the God Fearing woman I should be and I am okay with that!!

For me it started with believing and trying to be better and do better! 
And reading this book helps me every time I read it to reiterate that in my life!

2. The Giver by Lois Lowery 
This book talk about mind boggling and breath taking.
This was a book I read in middle school for the first time.
I immediately fell in love with this book from the first time I read it!
The mere idea that this utopian society exists without pain, hunger, fear etc at first seems so amazing.
Then you get into the nitty gritty and you are thinking Holy Moly!!
These people are nuts!!

But I couldn't help myself because naturally people don't want to experience pain, anger, jealousy etc.  
However once Jonas begins to experience he realizes it is worth it in the end.

Without knowing ugly and bad how will you ever know and appreciate beauty and good?
How would you know love?
How would you know faith?
And hope?
And joy?

The answer is simple you wouldn't and that was the point.

Once you know these things you can not help but want more of them even if that means having to experience the negative.

3. A Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan
 photo 118755_zpsb084a88f.jpg
This book is similar to The Giver.
A highly divided society of slaves and royalty.
One person who controls their very heat and life source as we silly humans ruined the earth!
And screwed up the sun!

But then the book has a twist the next potential saver is one of the slaves!
That slave refused her whole life to simply sit back and conform and just let it be.
She knew she and everyone deserved more and were worth so much more!!

She found someone to believe in her and allow her to move forward!
When she did she proved that status, power, money and prestige do not mean anything!
It is about who we are on the inside.
It is about our spirit.
It is about us as a person!

We are capable of anything and given the opportunity or creating our own opportunity we will succeed!

4. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
 photo TheLionWitchWardrobe1stEd_zps2e675695.jpg
I loved reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe first.
It was such a great and classic story of good versus evil.
Of course I love that good won.

But then I was introduced to the entire series and truly fell in love!
I love all the parallels to Biblical stories and lessons and just how love, kindness, goodness, joy and faith always win!

For me this entire series is just so uplifting and beautiful!!
Truly one of my favorites!


5. The Wrinkle In Time Quintent by Madeleine L'Engle

I read this entire series when I was still in middle school but as of now I have only re-read the first ones.
This is another SciFi - good vs. evil series I fell in love with.
I think I liked this set because it mixed science with faith and good intentions.
I love that LOVE would win in these books!

I love that this family was not "normal" and lived by true values and cores and morals!
This book is always a go-to comfort for me.
Definitely worth the time and effort 


6. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. 
 photo HBimage_zpsacb7046c.jpg
As I am looking through my list I evidently really enjoy that utopian sci fi books lol
I think I enjoy them because the lesson I always take away is - perfection is not what what we think.
Perfection is not totally equality by bringing some people down to meet the lowest.

Equality is about everyone being given an equal opportunity when possible!

This book taught me it is better to be myself and "die an original rather than live as a copy"
There is nothing wrong with embracing who we are!

But there is something wrong with trying to make everyone the same.
There is no such thing as the "norm" it is only what we allow society to tell us!

So for me it is about never losing site of how wonderful or flaws and imperfections are!
Because once we lose site of that we begin to want to be like the masses.

7. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
 photo mshelley_frankenstein_lg_zps945397a3.jpg
So if you have never read the true Frankenstein - do yourself a favor!
It will make you rethink everything you know about the horror movies.
There is so much more to this story than just an "evil monster."
I won't say anymore but please tell me if you read it!


8. Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar
 photo i-d56f249f7f3d79c64c35b55df7627fa6-SidewaysStoriesfromWaysideSchool_zpsbc9c507c.jpg
So this entire series just brings me back to childhood.
I am almost 30 years old and still enjoy re-reading these cheesy books haha
They are just cute, simple stories with no lesson or point but to entertain and sometimes even as adults we need that!

9. Holes by Louis Sachar 
 photo Sachar_-_Holes_Coverart_zps3981ac6d.png
Oh Holes!
A book that teaches you a lesson about hard work, accepting that life is unfair sometimes and that in the end everything works out!
Basically Holes taught me that the saying "everything happens for a reason" is sooo true!!
I love Stanley Yelnats!
And his dirty rotten stealing great granddad!


10. Babysitter's Club by Ann M. Martin, The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner and all RL Stine books 
 photo 297249_zps8905940e.jpg

 photo images_zps4fb4150f.jpeg
And this last set of books just screams my teenage years!
They are a compilation of the most impossible and unfathomable scenarios ever in the history of the world!

In what world would kids be able to live in an old boxcar and then be rescued by their super rich relative and have adventures every single freaking day?

Or would 12 and 13 year olds be responsible enough to baby sit babies and toddlers!
Shoot I am not even responsible enough now!

And let's not even go to RL Stine's stuff you all know how crazy those were!

But I love every single one of them!!

Now last but not least is my Bible.
I am still working my way through but it definitely deserves a place on this list.
I try to read at least a passage a day.
I try to take something out of each passage, a lesson, a thought, a life choice.
Whatever it is.
I as I said in #1 am a constant work in progress and am working on it every day!

So do tell - what is your favorite book?
Have you read any of these?
Any suggestions?

post signature

Comments

Rachel said…
1,2, 4, 8, and 10 were all childhood favorites of mine!

Popular Posts